- 1 What will stop mosquito bites from itching?
- 1.1 Home remedies to stop mosquito bite itching
- 1.1.1 1. Aloe Vera Plant as an itch relief for mosquito bites
- 1.1.2 2. Banana peel
- 1.1.3 3. Russian vodka, 45% diluted rubbing alcohol, witch hazel or deodorant
- 1.1.4 4. Vinegar
- 1.1.5 5. Ice cubes, a cold pack and frozen products
- 1.1.6 6. A spoon dipped into hot water
- 1.1.7 7. Lemon juice and rinds
- 1.1.8 8. Oatmeal bath to soothe itchiness
- 1.1.9 9. Minced Onion or Garlic
- 1.1.10 10. Baking Soda for a mosquito bite itch relief
- 1.1.11 11. Salt and Meat Tenderizer
- 1.1.12 12. Toothpaste
- 1.2 Store-Bought Cures for red Mosquito bites
- 1.1 Home remedies to stop mosquito bite itching
Mated female mosquitoes seek for a human and an animal for feeding on their blood. The blood is a source of protein that is necessary for ovification. Mosquitoes don’t bite, they sting, using their sharp, thin and elongated mouthparts. They puncture the skin of the host, inject the saliva and suck up the blood. In fact, all people can be bitten but only a few has a mosquito allergy. It is the allergic reaction which causes the discomfort. Those, who suffer from inflammation, always look for some itch relief for mosquito bites.
Unfortunately, mosquito bites can lead to fatal mosquito-borne illnesses like encephalitus, mosquito meningitis, dengue, malaria and other fevers. The latest mosquito virus Zika doesn’t result in death, though, it has very severe complications for pregnant women, newborn children and adults.
On the other hand, red mosquito bites are very annoying as well. They can cause mosquito bite allergy. The treatment of allergic reactions is connected with soothing mosquito bite itch.
Hence, you will learn what store-bought products and DIY recipes will cause itch relief for mosquito bites.
What will stop mosquito bites from itching?
The mosquito bite symptoms are skin rashes, irritation, itchiness, bruising and swelling. Really nothing pleasant. Mosquito bite itch is so unbearable that humans and animals tend to scratch the mosquito bite. The worst that you can get after scratching is the mosquito bite infection.
Home remedies to stop mosquito bite itching
Long ago there was nothing in a drug store to treat mosquito bites from itching. People used different products that they had at hand. Nowadays, we use these home remedies to cure mosquito bites as well. They stop the itching, dry the mosquito bite swellings or welts, and promote healing.
1. Aloe Vera Plant as an itch relief for mosquito bites
Aloe vera is a natural antiseptic plant whose faster healing properties are well-known. You can use Aloe vera juice to reduce pain. Just cut of an aloe leaf (or branch), break it open, cover all the bites with plant juice. Rub directly onto the swellings and welts. You can put the aloe vera leaf juice into the fridge and leave to chill for 10 to 15 minutes. Apply frozen gel onto affected area. It will bring immediate relief, reduce itching and redness.
You can buy a ready-to-apply Aloe vera gel to stop mosquito bites from itching as well.
2. Banana peel
Banana smell attracts the blood-sucking mosquitoes. It is recommended not to eat bananas before going outdoors at mosquito season. On the other hand, it is one of the cures for mosquito bites. Peel off a banana. Rub a piece of banana peel onto the affected area of the bite for a minute. and watch the redness and itching go away
3. Russian vodka, 45% diluted rubbing alcohol, witch hazel or deodorant
Buy Russian Vodka or use a 45% rubbing alcohol solution DIY. The recipe of Russian vodka is simple. Take one part of the rubbing alcohol and dilute it with one part of distilled or boiled water. Lotion to stop mosquito bites from itching is ready!
Simply soak a cotton ball with witch hazel, Russian Vodka or DIY 45% lotion and apply directly on red mosquito bites. The mosquito swellings dry up. Vodka cures mosquito bite itching.
The alkaline nature of deodorant in its solid formulation gives itch relief for mosquito bites. Rub the deodorant across the bite for immediate effect.
You can try some vinegar to relieve itching and to dry up the red mosquito bites and welts. Take apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and soak a cotton ball. Apply directly on the sites of mosquito bites. Be careful as it might irritate your skin if it is sensitive.
5. Ice cubes, a cold pack and frozen products
Mosquito bite treatment with low temperatures gives immediate itch relief and reduces inflammation in the affected area. Don’t apply ice without wrapping in a piece of cloth (a towel, a washcloth, a bag) as it can damage the skin.
Place an ice pack or some crashed ice cubes wrapped in a washcloth on the area of mosquito bites. Leave for about 10 to 20 minutes.
If ice is not available, hold the affected area under a cool running tap for a few minutes. You can use a bottle of cold water or a bag of frozen vegetables applied on the area affected by the bite.
6. A spoon dipped into hot water
A hot-water bag or a spoon dipped in very hot water can give you quick relief from the annoying symptoms. Hold the hot water bag or the back of the spoon dipped in hot water on the bite for a few seconds. The heat should be as hot as you can stand. Be careful not to hurt your skin. Those, who have tried this mosquito bite treatment, say it really works.
7. Lemon juice and rinds
Lemon juice is a natural anesthetic and anti-inflammatory cure for mosquito bites. Methods of mosquito bite treatment with lemon can be performed as follows:
1. Apply cotton balls dipped into freshly squeezed lemon juice onto the swellings to reduce the chance of developing a mosquito bite infection.
2. Cut a lemon into two pieces and rub the inside of the lemon half against the itchy welts and swellings for immediate relief.
3. Peel off a lemon. Simply rub the yellow rind of the lemon over the affected skin. Lemon essential oil in the peel soothe the itchiness.
4. Crush some basil leaves. Add them to the freshly squeezed lemon juice and stir well. Cover the area of the bite with the mixture.
8. Oatmeal bath to soothe itchiness
If you have too many bites, try to treat them with an oatmeal bath. Take a cup of oatmeal or ground oats. Distribute them over warm water into a bathtub. Then, soak in the oatmeal bath for twenty minutes, occasionally rubbing some of the clumped oatmeal onto itchy red mosquito bites.
9. Minced Onion or Garlic
Onion and garlic are well-known remedies for mosquito bite treatment. Moreover, they are nice mosquito repellents and used to keep insects away.
Onion or garlic juice gives quick itch relief for mosquito bites and soothes the affected skin.
Simply mince onion or garlic or puree them in a blender. Cover the red mosquito bites with the puree.
Leave the application on for about 5 minutes. Then wash it off with warm water.
10. Baking Soda for a mosquito bite itch relief
Cooking soda can effectively reduce the itchiness of the welts and swellings. It neutralizes the pH of the skin and thus provides quick itch relief for mosquito bites.
Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water. Mix well and wait until properly diluted. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and place it over the affected skin area for about 15 minutes.
On the other hand, you can make a paste. Take witch hazel (or vinegar) and baking soda in equal proportions. Stir properly to get a paste formulation. Apply the mixture onto the bite and leave it on for about 10-20 minutes. Then wash the area with warm water.
11. Salt and Meat Tenderizer
Salt is another easy home remedy that gives itch relief for mosquito bites. It has antiseptic properties that help reduce mosquito bite inflammation.
Make a paste from a few drops of water and a small amount of table salt. Rub the salty paste over the red mosquito bites.
Another method is to make a paste from different types of salt. Take garlic salt, seasoning salt and water in equal amounts. Mix properly and place this paste onto the affected skin. At first, it may cause a burning sensation for a few seconds, never mind. Itch relief will follow after.
If you have the itchy bite all over your body, add sea salt to the warm water in a bathtub and soak there for 15-20 minutes, occasionally rubbing some paste onto mosquito bite swelling. If you live near a sea or an ocean, simply go swimming to bathe your affected skin. The natural salt present in the seawater brings immediate itch relief for mosquito bites.
Meat tenderizer works the same way as the salt. Mix with a few drops of water and place directly onto the swellings.
Store-Bought Cures for red Mosquito bites
If mosquito bite treatment with home remedies weren’t effective in reducing itchiness and promoting the healing, you can consult a doctor. As a rule, they prescribe some antihistamine and hormonal medication, antiseptic and antibacterial agents to relieve the pain and to cure skin infection.
Some cures for mosquito bites are over-the-counter available at drug stores:
- Calamine lotion with active ingredients of ferric oxide, zinc carbonate and zinc oxide. Just rub the area of the mosquito bite to relieve itching, dry out the swellings, and provide fast healing.
- Antihistamine cream with diphenhydramine, cetirizine, loratadine or chlorpheniramine maleate. Follow the dosage instructions as directed in the label on the medication. Just spread a thin layer of antihistamine cream on the skin in the bite-affected area. It will reduce the effects of severe allergic reaction to mosquito bites.
- Hormonal cream with hydrocortisone. Apply 1% hydrocortisone cream on the red welts to relieve mosquito bite itch.
- Tea tree oil and antiseptic products with cloroxylenol (Dettol). Together they treat mosquito bite inflammation and skin infection. Tea tree oil is an effective mosquito bite cure to promote healing and soothe the itchy swellings.
- Topical anesthetics with pramoxine to relieve pain and reduce itching.
Now, it is only for to decide what will stop mosquito bites from itching. Futhermore, there is a great variety of alternatives and have a try of any you like!